SUPPLEMENTS FOR RUNNING
Discover our nutritional advice to help you perform at your best.
When running, recovery is an essential part of your progression. Any runner, beginner or experienced, should consider it as one of the pillars of their training.
The runner who neglects recovery not only loses the benefits of his training, but also exposes himself to greater risks of injury. No progress is possible in this case. Here is a supplementation programme adapted to maintain your performance and progress in running.
Multivitamins: For endurance athletes, daily intake of a multivitamin complex helps to protect the immune cells against free radicals generated during prolonged effort such as running (1).
Multiminerals : Running causes a loss of minerals due to increased sweating. Taking a daily multimineral helps to compensate for this loss and to reduce inflammation and muscle damagelinked to running, particularly thanks to zinc and selenium (2).
Omega 3 : Omega 3 is an important supplement for runners. Daily intake helps to lower the heart rate and blood pressure and improve the fluidity of the blood circulation (3). Omega 3 helps to reduce muscle soreness and improve recovery (4,5).
Type 1 Collagen : The muscular effort involved in running intensifies the degradation of collagen in joints and tendons. Regular collagen supplementation helps to better lubricate the tendons (6) and provides better protection against running-related injuries (acute aches, tendon pain, knee problems).
Potassium bicarbonate : Runners generally experience a decrease in performance due to lactic acid. Bicarbonate helps to neutralise lactic acid while increasing the production of lactate. This has a positive effect on endurance because muscle fatigue is reduced thanks to a stabilisation of the pH (7).
Collagen Peptide Peptan®Iim (Joints ++)
BCAA 4.1.1 : Intense training such as running causes amino acid losses. Taking BCAAs helps to limit these losses during the run while stimulating muscle protein synthesis. In fact, taking a minimum of 5g of BCAAs before training reduces the level of muscle soreness and accelerates its elimination (8), which contributes to a better recovery.
Cluster Dextrin : We recommend taking cluster dextrin during running training. Taking it before or during the race provides good hydration and a good carbohydrate intake. Cluster dextrin provides energy that can be directly mobilised by the body without weighing on the digestive system (9).
Glycerol : Runners need good hydration to perform well. Glycerol has 3 main benefits : better hydration, better fluid recovery and improved endurance.
The runner prone to dehydration can take glycerol to be better hydrated thanks to a better water retention of almost 50% (10,11,12,13).
(Glycerol helps reduce digestive problems through better hydration and thus contributes to better running performance. Glycerol also provides energy without causing hypoglycaemia, as it converts slowly to glucose.
Mix Focus : mix focus contains green caffeine and citicoline. The first is a stimulating booster, while the second is a non-stimulating booster. These two active ingredients synergistically provide complementary benefits on performance and concentration levels. The last active ingredient in the mix focus is astaxanthin. It is a very powerful anti-oxidant that improves muscular endurance by stimulating lipid metabolism, which leads to an increase in aerobic performance (14).
The mix focus allows the runner to less feel the effort thanks to the caffeine (15). On the other hand, the citicoline in the mix focus helps to maintain muscle strength over time. In fact, citicoline is a precursor to acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that is very important for the muscles and the brain because it controls the contraction force. Running depletes acetylcholine reserves, causing the muscles to gradually lose their strength.
ZMB : Intense running training has negative effects on the nervous system. It is during sleep that the nervous system regenerates itself, but the quality of sleep with athletes is generally impaired due to the nervous tension caused by training.
One way to counteract this is to supplement with zinc and magnesium. These minerals, combined together in the form of pidolates, have a relaxing effect on sleep and muscle and nerve relaxation (16). ZMB is a supplement containing magnesium and zinc pidolates and vitamin B6, specially designed to improve nerve and neuronal recovery.
Lean Gainer Native Whey Oats with Fibre, Biotics and Lactase- Vanilla
OUR SCIENTIFIC REFERENCES
(1) Sureda A.Vitamins C and E diet Supplementation Prevents Neutrophil Protein Oxidation without Affecting the Adaptative Response to Exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 2012 Aug 14; [Epub ahead of print].
(2) Kara, E. ; Ozal, M. ; Gunay, M. ; Kilic, M. ; Baltaci, A.K. ; Mogulkoc, R. Effects of exercise and zinc supplementation on cytokine release in young wrestlers. Biol Trace Elem Res 2011, 143, 1435-1440, doi :10.1007/s12011-011-9005-1
(3) Richardson ES. Electrophysiological Mechanisms of theAnti-arrhythmic Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2010Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print]
(4) Tartibian B. Omega-3 Fatty AcidsSupplementation Attenuates InflammatoryMarkers After Eccentric Exercise inUntrained Men. Clinical Journal of SportMedicine 2011 21(2) p: 131-137
(5) PoprzeckiS. Modification of blood antioxidantstatus and lipid profile in response tohigh-intensity endurance exercise afterlow doses of omega-3 polyunsaturatedfatty acids supplementation in healthyvolunteers. Int JFood Sci Nutr. 2009;60Suppl 2:67-79.
(6) OesserS. Oral Administration of 14C Labeled Gelatin Hydrolysate Leads to anAccumulation of Radioactivity in Cartilage of Mice (C57/BL). J. Nutr. October1, 1999 vol. 129 no. 10 1891-1895
(7) Abramowitz MK. Lower serumbicarbonate and a higher anion gap are associated with lower cardiorespiratoryfitness in young adults. KidneyInt. 2012 Feb 1.
(8) Takashige K. Effect Of A Branched-chain Amino AcidsSupplementation On Muscle Soreness During Intensive Training Program. Medicine& Science in Sports & Exercise 2005 37(5) Supplement May p S43.
(9) Is it Necessary to Ingest Carbohydrates and Fluids During 10 km Open Water Swimmingin Top-Level Competitions? G Olcina International Journal of Sport Nutritionand Exercise Metabolism December 2019
(10) Funnell MP. Blindedand unblinded hypohydration similarly impair cycling time trial performance inthe heat in trained cyclists. JAppl Physiol 2019 02 APR
(11) Robergs RA. Glycerol. Biochemistry, pharmaco kinetics and clinicaland practical applications. Sports Med. 1998 Sep;26(3):145-67. Review.
(12) Anderson MJ. Effect of glycerol-inducedhyperhydration on thermoregulation and metabolism during exercise in heat. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2001Sep;11(3):315-33.
(13) Goulet EDB .Salt+Glycerol-Induced Hyperhydration Enhances Fluid Retention More Than Salt-or Glycerol-Induced Hyperhydration. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2018 May1;28(3):246-252.
(14) Nitta T et al., Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia –Dose finding study in healthy volunteers. J Clin Therap Med. 2005;21(5):534-56.4.
(15) Effects Of Caffeine OnPhysiological Responses To Exercise And Time-trial Performance: Influence OfCYP1A2 Genotype.Glaister, Mark Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: July 2020 -Volume 52 - Issue 7S - p 4
(16) TesteJF.[Psychopharmacological properties of three magnesium salts: pidolate,lactateand aspartate]. Ann Pharm Fr. 1995;53(4):176-83.