We chose the L-selenomethionine form of selenium because it allows a much better assimilation of selenium. Indeed, this form of selenium is linked to an amino acid, and the assimilation of amino acids is more effective in athletes.
Selenium is a trace element with antioxidant properties that plays an essential role in our metabolism. It is also involved in the functioning of the immune system and in the regulation of certain hormones.
Fighting free radicals and improving performance
One of the main roles of selenium is to protect cells against free radicals thanks to its antioxidant virtues. Our bodies produce free radicals all the time, but when we practice a sport activity, we generate even more free radicals. Recent studies (1-2-3-4-5-6-7) highlight the link between selenium supplements and the reduction of oxidative stress. That's why it's important to supplement with selenium to reduce the muscle damage associated with training, especially if you practice sports in a polluted city or environment. Selenium therefore makes it possible to maintain or even improve sporting performance.
Protection of the immune system
One of the other benefits of selenium is that it stimulates the immune system (8-9). In particular, it allows the body to better fight infections. In addition, according to recent studies (10-11), selenium deficiency has been associated with the development of heart disease and cancer.
Selenium in capsules:
- Selenium 1-selenomethionine
- Prebiotics (Inulin Frutafit HD)
- Transparent vegetarian capsule.
Nutrimuscle vegetarian capsules
100% vegetable cellulose
We chose Selenium from the producer Nutrisol (American mineral specialist) for its form linked to an amino acid (l-methionine) giving it a stronger assimilation power. Indeed, selenium becomes even better assimilated by the athlete in the presence of amino acids.
1 capsule contains 55µg of l-selenomethionine (100% RDA)
Selenium is for:
- Athletes seeking to preserve their health and improve their performance.
- Sedentary people who need to improve their selenium intake.
Take 1 to 2 capsules of Nutrimuscle Selenium per day.
It is possible to take Nutrimuscle Selenium at any time of the day, but we recommend taking it with one of your meals (morning, noon, snack or evening).
It is preferable to take your Selenium capsule with a meal, as protein and carbohydrates improve its assimilation.
Synergies between supplements:
Selenium can be taken in synergy with vitamin C, multivitamins, multiminerals and zinc to increase the immune system. Selenium can also be taken with ZMB or ZMP to improve nerve recovery. There is also a synergy with BCAAs, improving the assimilation of them.
Antagonisms between supplements:
No significant antagonisms.
- (1) Savory, L.A. ; Kerr, CJ. ; Whiting, P. ; Finer, N. ; McEneny, J. ; Ashton, T. Selenium supplementation and exercise : effect on oxidant stress in overweight adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2012, 20, 794-801, doi :10.1038/oby.2011.83
- (2) Akil, M. ; Bicer, M. ; Menevse, E. ; Baltaci, A.K. ; Mogulkoc, R. Selenium supplementation prevents lipid peroxidation caused by arduous exercise in rat brain tissue. Bratisl Lek Listy 2011, 112, 314-317
- (3) Sivrikaya, A. ; Akil, M. ; Kilic, M ; Baltaci, A.K. ; Mogulkoc, R. The effect of selenium supplementation on elements distribution in liver of rats subject to strenuous swimming. Bratisl Lek Listy 2013, 114, 12-14.
- (4) White, S.H. ; Johnson, S.E. ; Bobel, J.M. ; Warren, L.K. Dietary selenium and prolonged exercice alter gene expression and activity of antioxidant enzymes in equine skeletal muscle. J Anim Sci 2016, 94, 2867-2878, doi :10.2527/jas.2016-0348
- (5) Molanouri Shamsi, M. ; Chekachac, S. ; Soudi, S. ; Quinn, L.S. ; Ranjbar, K. ; Chenari, J. ; Yazdi, M.H. ; Mahdavi, M. Combined effect of aerobic interval training ans selenium nanoparticles on expression of IL-15 and IL-10/TNF-alpha ratio in skeletal muscle of 4T1 breast cancer mice with cachexia. Cytokine 2017, 90, 100-108, doi :10.1016.11.005.
- (6) White, S.H ; Wohlgemuth, S. ; Li, C. ; Warren, L.K. Rapid Communication : Dietary selenium improves skeletal muscle mitochondrial biogenesis in young equine athletes. J Anim Sci 2017, 95, 4078-4084, doi :10.2527/jas2017.1919.
- (7) Molanouri Shamsi, M. ; Chekachak, S. ; Soudi, S. ; Gharakhanlou, R. ; Quinn, L.S ; Ranjbar, K. ;Rezaie, S. ; Shirazi, F.J. ; Allahmoradi, B. ; Yazdi, M.H., et al. Effects of exercise training and supplementation with selenium nanoparticle on T-Helper 1 and 2 and cytokine levels in tumor tissue of mice bearing the 4 T1 mammary carcinoma. Nutrition 2019, 57, 141-147, doi :10.1016/j.nut.2018.05.022.
- (8) McAuliffe S. Dietary micronutrients in the wake of COVID-19: an appraisal of evidence with a focus on high-risk groups and preventative healthcare. BMJ Nutrition, Prevention & Health 2020;3:doi: 10.1136
- (9) Maggini, S.; Pierre, A.; Calder, P.C. Immune Function and Micronutrient Requirements Change over the Life Course. Nutrients 2018, 10, 1531.
- (10) Burk, R., Levander OA. Selenium. In Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, Shils M., Olson, J, Shike, M, Ed. Williams and Wilkins : Baltimore, 1999.
- (11) Cheng WH, Prabhu KS. Special Issue of "Optimal Selenium Status and Selenoproteins in Health". Biol Trace Elem Res. 2019 Nov;192(1):1-2. doi: 10.1007/s12011-019-01898-x. PMID: 31515687
Find out more
As consumers of our products, we favour traceability and transparency for our producers and our supplements.
At Nutrimuscle, we only use very high-end minerals whose quality is guaranteed by inernational leading players: the American group Nutrisol, a mineral specialist, produces Nutrimuscle Selenium.
Improved sports performance
Selenium and oxidative stress
Free radicals are molecules that attack cells, which can lead to muscle damage. A recent study has highlighted the link between intense effort and increased production of free radicals (1). The oxidative stress caused by training is partly responsible for the aches and pains that may appear after the effort.
However, as explained above, selenium supplements can help to minimise oxidative stress (2). Furthermore, selenium is an interesting anti-oxidant for athletes who train in a polluted city or environment, because free radicals are even more concentrated there. Selenium therefore improves sports performance by reducing muscle damage.
Strengthening the immune system
As mentioned above, the main benefit of selenium is also to boost the immune system (6). It therefore helps the fight against infections. This represents a way for the athlete to maintain his performance over time in the face of bad weather and viruses.
Fighting Selenium deficiency
The reference study SU.VI.MAX measured the nutritional intakes of more than 12,000 French people. The conclusion on selenium was that in 75% of men and 83% of women, non-optimal plasma levels were found. (3)
In addition, it has been observed in several studies that athletes have higher than average mineral requirements. Indeed, sweating caused by intense training induces a loss of minerals (4-5). Hence, the even greater interest for the athlete to take selenium supplements.
- (1) Uchiyama S., et al. Relationship between oxidative stress in muscle tissue and weight-lifting-induced muscle damage. Pflügers Archiv European Journal of Physiology. 2006 April ; 452 (1) 109-116.
- (2) Savory, L.A. ; Kerr, CJ. ; Whiting, P. ; Finer, N. ; McEneny, J. ; Ashton, T. Selenium supplementation and exercise : effect on oxidant stress in overweight adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2012, 20, 794-801, doi :10.1038/oby.2011.83
- (3) Galan P., et al. Dietary magnesium intake in a French adult population. Magnes Res. 1997 Dec ; 10(4) :321-8
- (4) DeRuisseau K.C., et al. Sweat iron and zinc losses during prolonged exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2002 Dec ; 12(4) :428-37.
- (5) Klesges R.C., et al. Changes in bone mineral content in male athletes : mechanisms of action and intervention effects. JAMA. 1996 Jul 17 ; 276 (3) :226-30.
- (6) Maggini, S.; Pierre, A.; Calder, P.C. Immune Function and Micronutrient Requirements Change over the Life Course. Nutrients 2018, 10, 1531.